Wednesday 2 March 2016

OUGD505 Licence to Print Money - Illustration Development (Studio Brief One)

I have a design for one note, however I think it will be beneficial to make a couple more to decide which design I will take forward to screen print.

The developed designs can be seen below.

Firstly, the original illustration was developed further by adding the chosen colour scheme, and also editing the typography to make the design more consistent and informed. The concept behind this particular design is that 'queueing is a unique part of British culture'. I also created the back of this banknote in the same style, using the same typography and focusing on negative space to make the banknote more appealing, clear and minimal. This design can be seen beside the original.


The next banknote I focused on was the concept that in Britain, it is considered rude if people are late. I am assuming that this can't be a rule just for Britain, however it is on the list of British etiquettes so I decided to design a banknote for this. This one was very simple, I just decided to draw an alarm clock to show that you should set one to make sure than you are never late.

 

Seen as the other design featured people, I decided I wanted my design to have some kind of essence of people, as this banknote will obviously be aimed at people, and therefore I wanted it to be relatable. I drew out someone wearing a watch. This gave the design an essence of humanity, which I definitely preferred to the previous design.


Next I focused on the concept that people in big cities are expected to stand to the right on escalators to allow people who live there and are in a hurry to pass in a quicker time. This is something that a lot of people ignore, and I know that it annoys a lot of people, especially Londoners, as they are often in a rush and their paths can be blocked by tourists. I really like the design that I have come up with as I think it's very informed, informative and still follows the same specific style of all the other bank notes.


This is the final design that I came up with based on the idea that men are expected to take off their hats when they walk indoors. This is something that I had never heard of before, and in fact it's actually quite sexist, especially with men being more interested in fashion than the olden days, I don't really understand the difference between a woman and a man taking their hat off and it being rude because of gender. However, it's an etiquette rule so I decided to illustrate this. I know I definitely won't be screen printing this as I personally don't agree with it as it's sexist.


No comments:

Post a Comment