I have already had experience within editorial design and binding, therefore this assignment will give me the opportunity to build and expand on this knowledge.
This is a four week assignment, therefore I will be expected to produce a very well developed, polished piece of graphic design. I will have to make sure that I use time constructively in order to ensure that your publication is the best it can be possibly be.
Things I have to consider:
- Research - art & photography books, grid systems, audience
- Experiments, developments, evaluate
- Type and layout
- Photo quality / editing
- Preparing your document to print
- Print method
- Binding method
- Mock ups / experiments (evaluate)
- Commercial considerations vs. access to resources
- Preparing documents to be sent to print - any considerations in regards to print methods (digital or offset)
- Understanding colour / ink and related standards and systems (CMYK, Pantone, etc)
- Identifying spot colour, spot varnish, die cut, emboss, and other finishes in digital art work ready for print
- What printers will be expecting - marks, bleeds, etc.
1. A finished publication (designed, printed and bound)
2. Studio practice blogposts
3. Design boards
4. Any mock ups and experiments
5. Evaluation (500 words)