We were told to choose a word at random and have a go at creating our own design. I originally started by creating artwork based around the word 'rain'. I started by putting the letter 'r' into a raindrop. I think this looks quite effective, however it's very simplistic.
I then tried to create rain drops around the letter 'r'. I think this was really poor and it was quite hard to do. I decided I was going to rethink my word choice as I was struggling quite a bit.
I decided I would use the word 'snail'. I came up with this through a random word generator. I started by writing out the word and trying to put an illustration on of a snail on one of the letters.
I then decided that I would play around with the 'S' as it looks a similar shape to the shell of a snail. These experiments can be seen below. I think they look quite nice, however they weren't really what I was going for.
I then decided to play around with the letterforms in the word some more.
This is the final design that I came up with. I think it's the most effective as it's simplistic and I can simplify it even more through Adobe Illustrator.
This is the final design that I came up with. I think it's effective because it's really simple.